Survey: Indonesians are still Unfamiliar with the “Tech Startup” Term

Rifki Aria Nugraha - 1 September 2015

Nowadays, it seems that tech startups have fit in perfectly among the people, as consumers are used to travel using Go-Jek or shopping at online marketplaces. However, the “tech startup” term is actually something unfamiliar to the people. At least that’s what we found from our collaborative survey with JakPat.

The survey was done towards 575 Indonesian respondents who own smartphone and at least a diploma graduate. When being asked about whether they had heard about the “tech startup term”, only 47% of them answered yes, while the rest 53% of them said no.

The fact that less than 50% of respondents knew about what tech startup is gave a new homework to startup industry players to educate the public more about what and how tech startups work.

When we followed up those who had heard about the term regarding what they knew about it, 72% of them understood that it refers to tech-based startups, 23% regarded it as company that produces software, while 3% of them believed that tech startup is company with no clear physical form and business model.

What made us quite relieved is the fact that 91% of respondents who knew about the term thought that establishing or joining a tech startup is something attracting. 44% of them said that they wanted to create innovation for better mankind, and 29% of them regarded it as a positive thing simply because they love programming.

Furthermore, 62,5% of respondents admitted that they weren’t sourceful enough to join a tech startup or create one. Some others said that its was the small salary and unclear future provided by startups that made them hesitate to join a tech startup.


Disclosure: DailySocial and JakPat Collaborate in conducting this research. JakPat is an open survey platform that facilitates marketers, brands, and startups to get connected with 53 thousand mobile respondents as well as collect insight only in hours.

Are you sure to continue this transaction?
processing your transaction....
Transaction Failed
Try Again is a news portal for startup and technology innovation. You can be a part of`s startup community and innovation members, download our tech research and statistic reports, and engage with our innovation community.

Sign up for our

Subscribe Newsletter